tiistai 20. marraskuuta 2012

Moving to Phase Two

Even though my acute addicted times are already in the past, I´m still dealing with the things that made me get addicted at the first place. I´m diagnosed with the PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder) and even though I don´t want this blog to concentrate on my story or my personal problems, I want to share this, because many people (most I think...) who are addicted or suffering from anxiety or depression etc have faced some traumatic events in their lives. So it is an important part of getting balanced that you deal with these issues.

It is recommended to get some professional help: psychotherapy, natural or art therapies, 12-steps or other peer support groups etc... And especially combining these different methods of support can be very efficient.

This may be self-evident for many of the readers of this blog, but I still wanted to have this advice here, because I have at first concentrated here for the methods that can help you to cope with the difficult emotions and memories that are starting to rise now when you are not anymore hiding behind the addictive behaviour. And in the next phase of this blog you are going to need these, because I will introduce to you some therapeutic methods that help in releasing the old traumas, but it means that you have to face more of your past: memories and emotions that are rising.

But remember to proceed at your own speed. Learn to listen to yourself and what are the things you need at the moment and that are helping you to feel well. It is good to have at least somewhat stabilazed situation and support before you start experiencing with methods that are bringing some stuff from your subconscious to the surface. And it is good to remember that you can always stop the new practises if the going gets too tough. It is not weakness or quitting, it is being reasonable and kind towards yourself. And you can then continue again later at some point when you are feeling better.

Dealing with the traumatic past is alternating between these two stages: stabilazing/rest and digging deeper to find the root causes of the anxiety/depression/ptsd/addiction and releasing that way the difficult memories and emotions that are blocked in our body/psyche by letting them feel: anger, sadness, fear, bitterness... By crying and mourning. Giving yourself all the time to do that you need.
So I will also concentrate on both of these stages on this blog. I will mark from now on to the blog posts that which one they are discussing. I add that also to former posts. Of course you can find these things easier from the Blogger (http://naturallyfreefromaddictionandanxiety.blogspot.fi/).

Even though you maybe haven´t had problems with drugs, I would recommend you to purchase NA:s (Narcotics Anonymous) books: "It Works: How and Why" (12 steps explained, 7,60 $) and "Step Working Guide" (7,70 $) from this page: http://www.na.org/admin/include/spaw2/uploads/pdf/catalogs/NAWS_Product_Catalog_Oct2012.pdf. Or from European version: http://www.na.org/admin/include/spaw2/uploads/pdf/catalogs/Europe_ProdCata_Oct2012.pdf. 

It is a wonderful way to start working with your addictive behaviour´s problematic and learning a new more stable way of living. It says in the guide that you should go to meetings and have a sponsor first, before you start writing the steps, but if that is not possible, we can talk about these things in our peer support group here on FB. :) Some people may find it difficult that in the 12-step-programs there is this idea of the life-long sobriety. I want to respect that conviction, but I know also people, who have found a balanced attitude towards so called "normal use" of alcohol/cannabis etc. But it is said that it is good to have at least 2-3 years of sobriety and therapy etc before you even begin to try that. Otherwise you may very easily find yourself back from where you started.

I hope that you find your way to a balanced and happy life! <3






Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti